Recipe sourced from https://www.cookinglight.com
- 6 cucumbers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces (5 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean red chile paste)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (such as Red Boat)
- 1 cup water
Toss together cucumbers and salt in a medium bowl. Place cucumbers in a colander; let stand 20 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
Combine oil, basil, gochujang, ginger, garlic, sugar, and fish sauce in a bowl. Add cucumbers; toss to coat.
Place cucumber mixture in a mason jar. Press down cucumbers firmly, leaving 4 inches of headspace. Place 1 cup water in a small ziplock plastic bag; seal bag. Place inside a second ziplock bag, and seal. Place bags on cucumbers; seal lid. Let stand at room temperature 7 days, opening and resealing lid once per day.
Discard water bags before serving.